Velero is a solution for supporting Kubernetes cluster disaster recovery, data migration and data protection by backing up Kubernetes cluster resources and persistent volumes to externally supported storage backend on-demand or by schedule.
The major functions include:
- Backup Kubernetes resources and persistent volumes for supported storage providers.
- Restore Kubernetes resources and persistent volumes for supported storage providers.
- When backing up persistent volumes w/o supported storage provider, Velero leverages
restic as an agnostic solution to back up this sort of persistent volumes under some known limitations.
User can leverage these fundamental functions to achieve user stories: - Backup whole Kubernetes cluster resources then restore if any Kubernetes resources loss. - Backup selected Kubernetes resources then restore if the selected Kubernetes resources loss. - Backup selected Kubernetes resources and persistent volumes then restore if the Kubernetes selected Kubernetes resources loss or data loss. - Replicate or migrate a cluster for any purpose, for example replicating a production cluster to a development cluster for testing.
Velero consists of below components:
- A Velero server that runs on your Kubernetes cluster.
restic deployed on each worker nodes that run on your Kubernetes cluster (optional).
- A command-line client that runs locally.